Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 1

1.
The pastel finery
of tulips I planted only a day past
is white with April snow.
Telling them, "This is Mother Nature's fault --"
is useless,
like explaining to my cat, wearing the
Cone of Shame,
how it is for his own good. 
Both accuse me in silence, my involvement
more heinous with each passing second.

Outside, the magnolias are bursting forth.
They will be brown tomorrow
By winter's touch, burned,
but at least I'm not to blame.

------

2.
When I was ten, I followed you
to the edge of a golden wheat field. 
There are bees, you said, but they won't harm us
The fox hides from our footsteps in his den.
Diana, you wrote dreams
From such poor mediums as paper and ink: that was the true magic.
Your stories asked us to make sense from surrender.
If Tolkien was your hero, you were Tolkien doing the tango;
the only person allowed to give adverbs employment.
I loved you.
The words we sorely needed - innocence and hope and joy -
They will be missed.
The footsteps of deer in a tangled green wood;
not the roar of wheels, thundering down a grimly lit highway. 

8 comments:

  1. Love the visual of the cat wearing the cone of shame. LOL I really enjoyed your post.

    I randomly selected your blog to follow through this challenge.

    Until next time.

    Lisa
    InspiredbyLisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lisa! Thank you for following -- I hope it keeps being enjoyable =) Are there any other folks you're following that look interesting? I'd like to check out what everyone else is up to at some point (so many sites!).

    Poor kitty. IRL cone-cat just got it off today...but he is still maaad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your childhood experience,
    divine delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome join us,

    visit me for details.

    keep up the excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have evoked memories of childhood days with vibrant color as your pen becomes a multicolored brush upon the canvas of my mind. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PPPL; gracias! I'll check it out.

    Kay; a poem of a comment :) thank YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your blog so much…

    Glad to discover your poetry talent,

    join poets rally.
    make poetic friends, get encouragements via awards.

    come on in, the collection is to be closed within 25 hours.

    cheers.

    hope to see you in ASAP…..

    your talent rocks.

    check out promisingpoetsparkinglot now.
    welcome in.

    ReplyDelete